Friday, September 16, 2011

Happy Name's Day Euphemia!

Today is also Mia's name's day! St. Euphemia is also commemorated on July 11, which was Mia's due date. There is a relic of St. Euphemia at our church. So those two, plus our anniversary being a name's day, are three very good reasons we named her Euphemia, although we had never heard the name before!




Troparion (Tone 4) 
Your lamb Euphemia calls out to You, O Jesus, in a loud voice:
“I love You, my Bridegroom, and in seeking You I endure suffering.
In baptism I was crucified so that I might reign in You,
and I died so that I might live with You.
Accept me as a pure sacrifice,
for I have offered myself in love.”
Through her prayers save our souls, since You are merciful!
To briefly summarize her story, she was a young Christian woman martyered in the year 304. She was persecuted for being a Christian. Many ways were tried to kill her, but they all failed. Finally, they put her in an arena with animals. She prayed God would allow her to die and join Him in heaven. An animal scratched her and she died. To read her whole fascinating story, go here, which where I got the icon clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment